[b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 17 21:53:01 EDT 2005

Peter:

True, the Mesha Stone has fewer materes lectionis than
later Hebrew, but the yod is attested to as a mater
lectionis if line 2 and other places, and waw in lines 31
and 32 for the town XWRNN.

And just because Moabite didn't use as many materes
lectionis as later Hebrew, does that mean that Hebrew
didn't use them either? Cognate languages, even those
as close as Hebrew and Moabite, can sometimes be more
different that we expect. And that could show up in writing.

As for the waw use as a word final, I have seen it used as
early as proto-Sinaitic.

Back to my original question below.

Karl W. Randolph.