[b-hebrew] Leviral marriage

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 18:06:13 EDT 2005

Eve is described as purposed to become the mother of all mankind.
Does this mean that Yah purposed for Adam to have sex with Eve only?

It is clear that the warning in Deuteronomy 17:17 has direct relation
to what happened to Solomon. However, it is also clear that this
warning was in no way related to a feeling that having multiple wives
was a morally bad thing. But rather to the observation that more wives
means less time for being an earnest king.

Paul warned young Christians that they would better be able to dedicate
their lives to the spreading of the good news if they were to remain
single and further warned of the problems that come along with marriage.

Also, overseers were expressly limited to having one wife. Perhaps because
if they had had more than one wife they would have had insufficient time
for shepherding Yah's flock.

The proportion of females to males would also lend to a view that the creator
originally intended one man to be with one woman. Although, if nature is
to be taken into account it is clear that a large proportion of men would
like to have more than one woman. Or at least until they find out what that
entails (e.g Jacob's little family problems).

All in all, it seems that polygamy is not morally wrong from a scriptural
point of view but rather just ill-advised.