[b-hebrew] Leviral marriage - prepositions & grammar

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Sun Oct 16 16:49:26 EDT 2005

Shalom Yigal,

Well, we need to define what is less than legal wife.
The strongest case, IMO, is leviral marriage. Consider Deut26:6: a child
from leviral marriage succeeds in the name of the gone brother. If that was
a normal marriage, he would of course succeed in his father's name. And such
marriage is consistently referred as lo l'isha.

Next, take Sarah. From a cursory look, the only time she is called l'isha is
when Abraham tries to explain why she is more of a sister to him.

Next, take Rachel. She was the second wife.

Next, take Ruth. Her marriage was--to avoid discussion of
normality--irregular.

l'isha occurs idiomatically with lo. If preposition l would be simply a
grammatical fluke, irrelevant and meaningless, that correlation would not
hold.

A notion of similarity (approaching, but not reaching) which might be seen
in 'verb lo l'isha' is fundamental to preposition l.

Vadim