[b-hebrew] polygamy

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 17:05:33 EDT 2005

I thought no-one challenged that polygamy was perfectly acceptable in
the hebrew community. Saying that kings were exceptions is unfounded
as Isreal's kings sat on yah's throne and were therefore an example to
the community. Although, you could say that it was easier for the wealthy
to be able to support more than one wife.

In fact no christian scripture speaks directly against polygamy, except
for perhaps Paul's letter to Timothy were overseers of the flock are
described as having to be husbands of *one* wife. It is likely that
monogamy was forced into christian thought by the roman influence.

Also Islam, which is largely based on mosaic traditions, accepts multiwived
families and so personally I see no reason whatsoever to doubt that such
was acceptable under the mosaic law covenant.