[b-hebrew] Consistency; Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Fri Oct 14 05:42:06 EDT 2005

> HH: Thanks for posting this list of Hebrew names, LXX transliterations,
> and their respective  pronunciations in our alphabet. What it suggests to
> me is that the Greek names did not use a consistent transliteration system
> (i.e., use of K and C), and some of the transliterations are contrary to
> the evidence of the Hebrew letters (i.e., DAMASKOS, CALANNI, IOQOR).

Of course, the translators were consistent. It would be odd for them to be
inconsistent.
But the consistency accounts for certain changes. Greek accents the names
differently from Hebrew. That phenomenon is common enough, e.g., Russiav
ivAn vs. English Ivan. Next, consonants in accented syllables lose much of
their aspiration (accented vowel pulls the aspiration). And, on the other
hand, consonants in non-accented syllables are relatively more aspirated.
When the syllables in Hebrew names lost stress when pronounced according to
Greek stressing convention, their consonants became more aspirated. This
explains k-kh change.
Gemination is, of course, simply post-tonic (Calanni - stress shift and the
resulting gemination).

Vadim Cherny