[b-hebrew] Sofits (was: consonant vowel order)

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Fri Oct 14 05:33:57 EDT 2005

> The ancient (paleo-) Hebrew script did not have sofit forms.

Sure

> Their development is a purely calligraphic phenomenon, caused by not
> pulling the pen towards the next letter.

Even in Aramaic block characters, huh?

> In Arabic, most letters have final forms. They have nothing to do with
> "unstressed letters".

I readily admit that final forms are a matter of calligraphy in Arabic.
Similar end does not prove similar means, though.

> As far as case endings, they don't really exist in Hebrew. There are
> theories about cases in early Hebrew, but these are only theories.

That I can agree, too, though the theories seem both good and substantiated
by the use of prepositions.

Back to the sophits. You know about concatenation, melec gadol - mele
cgadol. Concatenation creates consonantal clusters. Some clusters are
impossible to pronounce: apparently, those starting with c, z, m, n, p.
Opera singers I consulted all confirm this. They insert a short epenthetic
sound to break such clusters. That is what Hebrew speakers apparently also
did. Thus, melec(u) gadol. In other words, some consonants were (and are)
always followed by epenthetic vowel in word-final positions for clear
pronunciation. Sophit forms reflect that peculiar pronunciation with
epenthetic vowel. Sophit forms are peculiarly elongated, suggesting that
instead of the now-used (in singing) epenthetic vowel the word-final
consonants might be elongated: meleh:hgadol.

Note that word connectors are common, even Jack's favorite Tagalog.

Vadim Cherny