[b-hebrew] bethulah equals virgin?

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Oct 13 23:29:06 EDT 2005

Unmarried women were allowed to be concubines without being denigrated.

There were rules there, too - the man had to support their children,
and the woman couldn't be with another man.

Furthermore, if an unmarried woman has a child, that child is not
denigrated by the community, and is not considered a "mamzer"

The unaccepted behavior, is for a MARRIED woman to be with another
man - there was not a stigma for an unmarried woman to be with a man,
it was acceptable if she stayed  with the same person....

Shoshanna