[b-hebrew] bethulah equals virgin?

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 23:18:25 EDT 2005

thanks Yigal

>By the way, I don't think that the Torah
> considers an unmarried woman who is not a virgin to be "unvirtuous". If
> she
> married passing herself off as a virgin, that makes her a liar.

In the very verses we were discussing, Deut 20:13-21:
1) the man is punished for bringing an evil name upon a virgin in Israel.
The evil name is not that she was a liar, but that she was not a virgin when
he married her.
2) the woman is stoned, not for lying, but "because she hath wrought folly
in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil
away from among you."
-Steve Miller