[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel at exc.com
Wed Oct 12 14:38:35 EDT 2005

>>NYU Press had kindly granted me persmission to put Table 6.4 from _In
>>The Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Language_ on-line:
>>
>>     http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman/Excerpts/ITB-p95.pdf
>>
>>It contains a list of some names with their Masoretic pointing and LXX
>>spelling; the Hebrew and Greek are both transliterated.
>
>HH: Thanks for posting this list of Hebrew names, LXX
>transliterations, and their respective  pronunciations in our
>alphabet. What it suggests to me is that the Greek names did not use
>a consistent transliteration system (i.e., use of K and C), and some

In the end, this is what I think, too.  My point was that the LXX does
not confirm the Masoretic work.  I agree that it doesn't generally
speak against it, either (though tri-syllabic Rebekka is a problem).
One of the points I make in my book is that transliterations are in
general a terrible way to understand a language.

-Joel M. Hoffman
 http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman