[b-hebrew] bethulah equals virgin?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Oct 12 00:20:59 EDT 2005

Hi Steve,

Bethulah means "virgin". Na'arah neans "young woman" - either unmarried or
betrothed but unconsumated. Ahasuerus collected "na'aroth bethuloth" "young
virgins", kept them in his harem, but only consumated his "marriage" to them
after a year - up to that point, they were still virgins. So that in 2:17,
Esther is compaired to the other "women" and "virgins".

2:19 seems to be a problem, since afetr their first night with the king, the
women were no longer virgins. Might it mean that he had a second round of
collectng virgins; maybe this was why Mordecai was worried - he thought that
Esther had failed at her mission!

Joel 1:8 compares Israel to a betrothed virgin whose husband died before
consumation.

Deut. 22:19 uses both terms to reffer to her previous status, since that is
what the husband is challenging.

Yigal