[b-hebrew] Sofits (was: consonant vowel order)

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 11 17:03:56 EDT 2005

Vadim,

The ancient (paleo-) Hebrew script did not have sofit forms. Their
development is a purely calligraphic phenomenon, caused by not pulling the
pen towards the next letter. In Arabic, most letters have final forms. They
have nothing to do with "unstressed letters".
As far as case endings, they don't really exist in Hebrew. There are
theories about cases in early Hebrew, but these are only theories.

Yigal