[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue Oct 11 13:29:51 EDT 2005

Dear Joel,

>[re LXX confirmation for Masoretic work]
>
>NYU Press had kindly granted me persmission to put Table 6.4 from _In
>The Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Language_ on-line:
>
>     http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman/Excerpts/ITB-p95.pdf
>
>It contains a list of some names with their Masoretic pointing and LXX
>spelling; the Hebrew and Greek are both transliterated.

HH: Thanks for posting this list of Hebrew names, LXX
transliterations, and their respective  pronunciations in our
alphabet. What it suggests to me is that the Greek names did not use
a consistent transliteration system (i.e., use of K and C), and some
of the transliterations are contrary to the evidence of the Hebrew
letters (i.e., DAMASKOS, CALANNI, IOQOR).

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard