[b-hebrew] Apparently Redundant Letters

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Oct 11 12:08:46 EDT 2005

Kevin:

Actually, I attended more classical and koiné Greek and
Latin classes than Hebrew. The profs for both languages
taught that in the earliest surviving Latin through the
Republic that the alphabet notated only the phonemes in
Latin, and in Greek the only exception was the "h" in front
of some words starting with vowels. The change for Latin
came later, particularly during the medieval period, and I
wasn't taught about later changes in Greek.

(For all we know, could not that "h" in font of some Greek
words starting with vowels have been something that was
added later, that it was not original?)

Thus, according to how I was taught both languages, they
do support my thesis that Hebrew probably had only 22
recognized phonemes when the alphabet was
developed.

Karl W. Randolph.