[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Oct 11 08:33:14 EDT 2005

On 11/10/2005 03:11, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>There is considerable pre-masoreteic evidence, and none of it confirms
>the Masoretic Beged Kefet rules.  I go through the evidence in great
>detail in my NYU book (_In the Beginning: A Short History of the
>Hebrew Language), which is available from most libraries.  "Rebekka"
>demonstrates well, as the Masoretes recorded two syllables and a /v/
>for the second consonant, while the LXX gives us three syllabes and a
>/b/ for the second consonant.  "Milcah" shows the same pattern, with
>/k/ according to the Masoretes but /x/ according to the LXX.

Joel, from what you posted before it seems that in your studies you have
failed to take account of the known facts about changes in Greek
phonology, but rather have assumed that the traditional pronunciation of
classical Greek is correct for all periods. That would throw
considerable doubt on your conclusions, for the main evidence for your
theory comes from Greek transliterations. No time to go into it more
now, but I would like to at another time.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/