[b-hebrew] Apparently Redundant Letters

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Oct 10 11:42:29 EDT 2005

Dear Alexander:

The problem you describe is answered by your opening
statement, "Some of the Hebrew letters appears
redundant, because the pronunciation has changed into
sounds that are already used by other letters."

But what were the original pronunciations?

One of the clues that I recognize is the pronunciations that
the letters have in other languages that accepted the
alphabet. I weigh the earlier adoptions heavier.

The example of the Greek alphabet has already been
thoroughly discussed on this list, so I don't think I need to
go over that again.

But I suspect the Roman alphabet also represents an
adoption that is independent of Greek. Oh I recognize the
common belief that the Romans learned writing from the
Greeks, which even the Romans believed, however some
of the forms betray evidences of an earlier, independent
adoption by those who spoke a predecessor language to
Latin.

In particular, I noticed that the "R" looks like a somewhat
simplified and stylized proto-Sinaitic resh and the "S"
curvy more like some proto-Sinaitic sins than the later
angular form that resembled the sigma. Looking at the
whole alphabet, it appears as if the pre-Romans adopted
it during the transition from proto-Sinaitic to Phoenician,
while the Greeks just from Phoenician.

Both the Romans and the Greeks changed some of the
letters to vowels and dropped letters that they did not see
use for (apparently both languages recognized fewer
phonemes than did Hebrew) and both appended letters to
their abecedary to represent phonemes they did not
recognize existing letters to cover.

Without going into all the details, the evidence from these
two sources contradicts what we were taught in beginning
Hebrew classes, and what appears in Hebrew grammars.
That evidence, added to the practice I have of reading the
unpointed text, along with the pattern that when
languages are spelled phonetically, letters rarely change
sound values (though it happens) and changes are more
likely in vowels than consonants, lead me to conclusions
that I have. Changes in letter values almost always occur
when spelling is frozen, as was Hebrew from the
Babylonian Captivity onwards, Aramaic apparently from
the Persian period onwards, and Latin from about the
third century or later.

This is my 2¢ on the discussion, put out for information
purposes only, and to show the difficulty we have when
we try to recreate the pronunciation of a dead language.

Please no one start to argue. Instead, agree to disagree.

Karl W. Randolph.