[b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 10 07:02:42 EDT 2005

On 09/10/2005 02:48, Matthew Guest wrote:

>It is my understanding that the consonants are "YHVH" not YHWH. ...

The third consonant is the Hebrew letter ו, known as either waw or vav,
which according to the accepted transliteration system on this list is
transliterated as W. In modern Hebrew this letter is pronounced like
English "v", when it is not marking a vowel, but in biblical Hebrew it
was probably pronounced like English "w".

>... The etymology being (Phonetically) "Eyah awsha eyah" ...

This is an approximation, and not a very good one. For English speakers,
a better approximation to the probable original pronunciation would be
more like "Ehyeh ashair ehyeh" - I write "ashair" for the middle word as
this suggests the correct pronunciation of the second word with a short
first syllable and a stressed second syllable. All of the words should
be stressed on the latter syllable.

>... meaning "I am that I am", Or "I will be what I will be." This is not up for debate. The Massorah makes it quite clear in two places.
>Both are acrostics, one found in the book of Esther, and the other in The Psalms.

What do you mean here? Please tell us exactly where you find these
alleged acrostics.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/