[b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 10 07:18:20 EDT 2005

On 07/10/2005 05:58, Read, James C wrote:

>On the matter of sin/shin I think Karl has good reason to believe these represented
>one sound. Take for example the English 'u' (I know, I am now officially a
>hypocrite).Not so long ago Peter said that English 'u' is like a russion 'a'.
>Well, not for me it isn't! For me there is no difference between the
>'u' of run and the 'u' of bull. For Peter, they are two different phonemes
>and the 'u' of Peter's run is similar to my 'a' of ran. Estuary English goes
>the whole hog and I cannot distinguish the difference between my 'ran'
>and their 'run' and therefore have to rely on context to understand if they
>are referring to the past or the present. ...

Just to clarify, my example was based neither on the Estuary English of
my home town nor on a version like James' (is that Scottish, James?),
but on standard or Received Pronunciation British English. I was also
referring only to short unstressed vowels, in English and Russian.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/