[b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Oct 8 15:22:13 EDT 2005

On 06/10/2005 21:16, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>It's not a prosodic rule.  It's not hard to find examples in Tanach of
>the same prosody with different trope types, and, hence, different
>BEGED KEFET behavior.  The Masoretes invented this arbitrary
>inter-word rule (and, actually, for all we know, invented the entire
>BEGED KEFET rule).

This last part sounds improbable to me. The Masoretes recorded what they
heard, in the tradition of chanting the Bible which they knew. So they
must have heard a distinction corresponding to dagesh, and heard that
the dagesh pronunciation was not used after a vowel even in a previous
word within a short phrase. And there is surely pre-Masoretic evidence
for the different pronunciations of begadkepat letters in
transliterations into Greek, Latin etc.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/