[b-hebrew] Eden

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Oct 9 18:20:55 EDT 2005

Although we don't know for certainty what the rivers Gihon and Pishon
were we do have a rather large clue. We are told that the river Gihon
encircled the entire land of Cush. So what is this land Cush? Both LXX
and Vulgate translate as Ethiopia. Now even by a long stretch of the
imagination could there be a river issuing from babel which become the
Tigris and the Euphrates and then another that split off down past Egypt
and around Ethiopia.
As for the Pishon we are told that it encircles a land with good gold,
bdellium gum and onyx. Can these presious goods be found naturally in
the near East?