[b-hebrew] Eden

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 8 14:13:04 EDT 2005

Just a few points:

1. No one is claiming that "Eden" was a desert. Gen. 2:5 ff. FIRST tells of
the earth beig waterless and of God raising a "mist" (let's not go back to
that one!), and THEN says that God planted a garden in Eden and put man
there.

2. Vs. 8 clearly states that the garden was "eastward" (miqqedem). Assuming
that Genesis was written by an Israelite (Moses or otherwise), this would
NOT refer to the sources of the Nile.

3. Of the four rivers mentioned, the only two that are known are the Tigris
and the Euphrates. Whatever one thinks that "head" means, this refers to
Mesopotamia. The Gihon and the Pishon are not known. Identifying them with
the White and Blue Nile is pure conjecture.

4. The end of ch. 3 makes it clear, that after man was banished from the
garden, God made it unfindable, and guarded it with a cherub and a flaiming
sword. Anyone who takes the biblical story literally enough to search for
the garden in "real" geography, should take this litearlly as well. In my
opinion, what the book is saying, is that the garden is NOT in our "real
world", so don't bother to look for it.

5. Once again, those who take the story literally, should remember that
there was a great flood which probably wiped out most landmarks, anyway.

6. For those who don't take the story literally, the only "historical"
question is not where the garden was, but what ancient traditions influenced
the author when he composed his story.

Just my 6 cents worth.

Yigal