[b-hebrew] Apparently Redundant Letters

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sat Oct 8 13:02:17 EDT 2005

The beth without dagesh is almost but not quite like the british 'v'. It would have
been more similar to the Spanish 'v' which is almost an Enlish 'v' but not quite
there and in some words it sounds more like an English 'b' and in others it sounds
more like an English 'v' depending on the sounds that come before and after it.
The reason I hold this opinion is because the sounds of beth with and without dagesh
must have been close enough for them to have been almost indistinguishable at some
point in history. The only phonemes I am aware of that ehibit this behaviour are
the Spanish examples I cited above.

Similarly I believe the hebrew daleth resembled the Spanish 'd' which is often heard
as an aspirated 'd' but quite the 'th' sound of 'the'. Again, this is because of phonetic
reasoning.

In the case of the sin/shin it is possible that the ancient hebrews did not hear a great
enough difference in their pronunciation to merit using two differing graphemes. Rather
like the case of the two different 'l' sounds that exist in English. It is evident that
they exist but the difference has not been big enough for me to ever hear an English
person complain that there should be another grapheme to differentiate the two.