[b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 06:41:31 EDT 2005

So, in your opinion where exactly was the man moving to and from? From a state of
death to a state of life?

Anyway, while into on its own has the basic meaning of entering it is clear that in
the case of the phrasal verb 'to turn into' this is not the case. To turn into means
to become.

May I offer you a spot of advice Vadim as you are quickly losing the respect of a great
many members of this list? I appreciate your enthusiasm and your lively input to
discussions and it's good to have mother speakers from many nationalities that can
bring a different slant to the discussions. It is true that English speakers can fall
into the trap of limiting their ideas of range of expression to their own language and
it is for this reason than new English speaking students of biblical hebrew find it
very hard to understand the concept of a tenseless language.
The advice I would like to offer you is this. Sometimes it is better to yield even when
you know you are right. If you never yield you come across as opinionated and unreasonable.
Whereas if you yield as often as you see the opportunity you show your objectiveness
and reasonableness and these qualities will bring you much more respect from your peers
on this list and in the future we will find it easier to consider that you have
something valuable to say.