[b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Thu Oct 6 21:15:57 EDT 2005

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:41:29 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph at email.com>
writes:
> Yitzhak:
>
> You're just like Vadim, impossible!

+++++++++++++

Karl,

If anyone is like Vadim, it is YOU.

+++++++++++++

> When I read documents like the Gezar Calendar and the
> Siloam Inscription, I find writing entirely consistent with
> examples found in pre-Exile Tanakh. Give me a clear
> enough image and I have no trouble reading the text.
> Have you ever read Tanakh from cover to cover?
> <SNIP>
> What does this tradition have to do with an analysis of the
> unpointed Hebrew text? Huh??
>
> Have you ever *read* the unpointed text cover to cover?

++++++++++++
Karl,

I doubt seriously that you have read the TANAK from cover to cover.  You
had to admit that you didn't know what to do with a passage from Job, and
there have been other other instances in which you seemed very much at a
loss.  If I were you I would drop this bit about reading the Hebrew text
from cover to cover (and especially the point about reading the unpointed
text) since I find it totally unimpressive though I know you are
attempting to impress everyone with your prowess at Hebrew.  It only
makes you a laughing-stock.
++++++++++++

> In closing, I have come to the conclusion that you don't
> know Biblical Hebrew. Oh, you may have taken a class or
> two in it, learning the paradigms presented in grammar
> textbooks, but that is a far cry from reading the text cover
> to cover. You have not analyzed even a simple, small
> book like Ruth using an unpointed text, let alone the
> whole Tanakh. All you do is parrot the beliefs of others. If
> you were handed a document in archaic Hebrew script,
> could you read it? I can. Apparently you love to argue just
> to argue, well go on without me.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

You would do well to take "a class or two" learning Hebrew.  Don't try to
impress me with your supposed prowess at reading the unpointed text from
cover to cover.  You're a phoney.