[b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

Michael Abernathy mabernathy at isot.com
Wed Oct 5 16:38:44 EDT 2005

"Great. And how do you know the idea, if you ignore the grammar?"
You don't ignore the grammar. You have to understand the grammar of both
languages.
"Became to a living soul" is not good English.
Become simply does not take a prepositional phrase as its object in English.
As for other examples,
Exodus 4:3, 7:10, 7:12  Moses' staff became  (le) a serpent.
Deuteronomy 26:5 became a (le) great nation
Joshua 7:5 the heart of the people melted and became (le) water
Judges 1:33 became (le) tributary to them
Judges 8:27 it became (le) a snare to Gideon and to his family
Ruth 4:13 she became to him (le) a wife
2 Sam 8:2 the Moabites became (le) servants to David
Psalm 114:2 Judah became (le) a sanctuary to him
Isaiah 63:10 he changed himself to become (le) an enemy to them

Since you asked how I ignore the grammar, let me ask you, what grammars
and lexicons are you using for Hebrew and English?
The definition I gave you for le is a standard definition found in
Brown-Driver-Briggs.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy