[b-hebrew] hebrew in rabelais

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Oct 5 14:49:26 EDT 2005

The form "niphseleth", is the fem. sing. niph. of PSL. In the Bible, the
verb PSL means "to sculpt" or "to carve", and as a noun, it means
"sculpture", as well as "idol". In rabbinic Hebrew, the verb also came to
mean "to void" or "to reject" - what a sculptor does to the material that
the cuts off the statue. Something that's "pasul" is void or unfit.
"Niphseleth" would be someone or something (feminine) that was declared or
made unfit.

Yigal