[b-hebrew] Prepositions and grammar

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Wed Oct 5 13:40:01 EDT 2005

> It is not a matter of ignoring the preposition. It is a question of what
> is necessary to commuicate the same idea in English.

Great. And how do you know the idea, if you ignore the grammar?

> le indicates a change of state.

oh-oh. That is a kind of very remote. le is dative, pure and simple.

> In English the prepositioin would be necessary if we were to say, "The man
> changed into a living soul." The preposition is not needed with the verb
> "became."

Well, now that is a circular assumption. You say, essentially, "if the verb
is 'became' with no preposition, then the preposition is unnecessary in
English."

The Hebrew text is there for everyone to see: would become or exist
something in dative.

Shall we discuss any other examples of the Tanakh using le for an ablative?
Are you able to bring forward any such examples?

Vadim Cherny