[b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Wed Oct 5 03:20:10 EDT 2005

RE: [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammarThe sense of the sentence depends on the reading of prepositions, in the first place. Don't read prepositions, and you have a different sense.

In "the man became a living soul," the object is in oblative. There is no way that le can be used with oblative. No way.

And, by the way, your Spanish example is incorrect. Preposition a is used specifically for people, both as direct and indirect objects. As a rule, preposition is used only for indirect objects (I spoke to audience). This is incidentally consistent with Hebrew and English practice.

Vadim Cherny

  In Spanish the direct object always takes the preposition 'a'.

  e.g. Spanish literally reads 'I saw to Maria'

  What do you suggest Vadim? Should I translate the 'to' literally or
  rather just translate the sense of the sentence?

  So you suggest to ignore prepositions when convenient? Next, shall we ignore
  verbs?

  Vadim Cherny