[b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Mon Oct 3 15:06:12 EDT 2005

>>Now, when you pronounce waw in YHWH as v, syllable-final guttural hey is
>>no problem (I don't suggest that pronunciation, just following your
>>example) if you distinctly syllabify the word, yh.vh or even yh.(bh)h.
>>When, however, you use soft w-u, such stop is almost lost, and hey
>>disappears.
>>Since, however, hey does not take schwa, hey was vocalized, and yeh.wa
>>became ye.ho.wa.
>
> When sheva under a guttural consonant becomes vocalised, the vocalisation
> is always a composite sheva and always matches the preceding vowel. So
> there is no way that an "o" vowel, or any kind of long vowel like the
> holam often postulated, could have found its way into the divine name by
> this kind of process.

The first vowel is more or less "a," thus composite schwa is with "a," too,
as you correctly noted.
Short a do become o - short o. Consider davAr - *dAvar - dOivor. In
Ashkenazic, first kamatz elongated to holam, while the second kamatz, now in
closed unaccented syllable, actually shortened to short o sound. The same
process created kamatz-katan out of kamatz. I wouldn't bet about the English
pronunciation, though the effect seems to be there, but Russian examples are
plenty: малина is more or less pronounced молина.

Vadim Cherny