[b-hebrew] Verb Inflection & Tense

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 3 14:15:47 EDT 2005

On 03/10/2005 22:37, Ken Penner wrote:

>>Why not? In some languages e.g. Koine Greek infinitives intrinsically
>>have both tense and aspect.
>>

>Do you mean to claim that all Greek infinitives intrinsically have tense? I
>can see that one might claim this for the Future infinitive, but for the
>Aorist and Present? By tense do you mean relative tense? Even then, the
>Aorist doesn't fit. Cannot the same infinitive be used in META TO + inf.,
>and PRO TOU + inf.? ...

Thanks for the correction. Greek infinitives have aspect, but mostly not
tense. But the existence of just one tensed infinitive in Greek
disproves Rolf's suggestion that it is ridiculous to argue that an
infinitive may have tense.

>... It seems to me that Greek infinitives used absolutely serve as commands.
>XAIREIN

Indeed - one of many such languages.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)