[b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 3 10:44:02 EDT 2005

On 03/10/2005 05:30, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>Now, when you pronounce waw in YHWH as v, syllable-final guttural hey is no
>problem (I don't suggest that pronunciation, just following your example) if
>you distinctly syllabify the word, yh.vh or even yh.(bh)h. When, however,
>you use soft w-u, such stop is almost lost, and hey disappears.
>Since, however, hey does not take schwa, hey was vocalized, and yeh.wa
>became ye.ho.wa.

When sheva under a guttural consonant becomes vocalised, the
vocalisation is always a composite sheva and always matches the
preceding vowel. So there is no way that an "o" vowel, or any kind of
long vowel like the holam often postulated, could have found its way
into the divine name by this kind of process.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/