[b-hebrew] Language Evolution - Out of Bounds

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Oct 3 10:36:41 EDT 2005

On 30/09/2005 13:25, Kevin Riley wrote:

>Ignoring what is meant by the terms, the Bible presents Abraham as being an
>Aramaean [where is that statement: "my father was a wandering Aramaean" - is
>it the Bible or tradition??]. ...

Deuteronomy 26:5. This probably refers to Jacob rather than Abraham,
because it continues "he went down into Egypt with a few people...", but
then if Jacob was an Aramean, Abraham was all the more so. Of course
this tells us about perceived national or tribal identity rather than
about language.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/