[b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel at exc.com
Mon Oct 3 12:13:37 EDT 2005

>4) "became a living soul" ignores the preposition le, "became for a living soul."

I'm joining this argument in the middle, but let me point out that the
preposition "L" here should not be translated "for."  Rather, the
preposition is a consequence of Hebrew grammar.  In a language such as
English, in which the grammar does not require a preposition, the word
is best left untranslated.

It is a common mistake to translate grammatical elements into semantic
ones, or vice versa.

With wishes for a healthy and happy 5766,

-Joel Hoffman
 http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman