[b-hebrew] Genesis 2:5

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sat Oct 1 18:06:11 EDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:30:35 +0300 "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny at mail.ru>
writes:
> > Vadim, you may not live in Manhattan either, but you obviously
> don't live
> > in a sun-dry land. As Martin probably knows from Australia and I
> have also
> > seen, there are very dry parts of Australia and other countries
> (even of
> > Russia, actually, near the Caspian coast) where lots of small
> bushes grow.
> > And the same is true of many parts of the Middle East.
>
> The answer consist of several parts.
>
> First, I doubt that siah means "bush." That meaning is rare and
> dubious,
> with clear etymological connection to the root. I would talk the
> first
> phrase as, "all small talk in the fields was not [no more]."
>
> Second, herbs indeed don't grow well in sun-dry land.
>
> Third,  the writer used a common hyperbole. When one says, "All is
> lost," he
> rarely implies "all." When we hear, "All fish had gone from that
> pond," the
> person is aware that a few likely remained. "All herbs of the field
> would
> grow not" seems applicable to draught.
>
> Fourth, the common translation "yet" is very misleading. Arabic
> cognate
> tarem, on the contrary, means something like "cease."
>
> Fifth, for watering of the whole earth geshem is much more
> appropriate.
> Matar seemingly implies that on the whole land there was not even a
> drizzle.
>
> Vadim Cherny
_______________

Vadim,

First, what in the world does "all small talk in the fields was not [no
more]" mean to you?  To me it is meaningless unless perhaps you're
talking about gossiping in the fields.

Second, the fact that even drought-resistant plants can't grow with
absolutely no moisture is precisely the point:  There was neither rain
nor a man to "work", i.e. irrigate, the ground.  I think that you should
abandon your meaningless understanding of %iYaX.

george
gfsomsel