[b-hebrew] online targums

Schmuel schmuel at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 1 09:53:17 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,

Gene Gardner wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can find an online English translation of Targum Jonathan?

Hi Gene,

There are many English translations of Targumim online, last I checked this did not include Targum Jonathan (e.g. Pseudo-Jonathan, Onkelos, Psalms are online).

The Isaiah 53 section is available however :-), actually maybe in two translations.
I can find at least one if that is helpful.

>Also, does anyone on the list have a copy of The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, Edited by Martin G. Abegg, Peter W. Flint and Eugene Charles Ulrich, and if so, what is your opinion of it?

Tis a well-done work, that achieves what it tries to do.  Places the context of the various Bible text scrolls within the format of the Hebrew Bible, gives the English translations (not the Hebrew text as e.g. at the Fred Miller Great Isaiah Scroll site), shows what are conjectures and interpolations, compares readings when there are multiple scrolls, and gives solid footnotes.

Also in the introduction to each book it discusses quite well issues like the affinity of the various texts to the Masoretic Text or the Greek OT.  The scholars are strong, and Emanuel Tov backed them up on the translation of Psalm 22:16, possibly the most controversial verse.  Others here can comment on the translation in general, as that is not my forte.  Never heard any real criticisms however.

As long as you are aware of the focus and direction of the book, it is an excellent work.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY