[b-hebrew] Psalm 80:10-12

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat Oct 1 07:35:54 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

It looks to me like $ara$ being in hiphil is the key to the switch to
third person.  An agent can do the planting and cultivating, but then
the plant itself must $ara$ (hiphil).  For instance, in Isa 27:6,
Ja`acob doesn't make something take root by farming.  The Lord does the
watering, and then Ja`akob himself takes root (within the metaphor that
compares the people to plants).

I don't think this contradicts the New Testament figure in which man
waters, but the Lord adds the increse.  In this NT figure a man is the
farmer (instead of the Lord as in Psa 80 or Isa 27).  The Lord adds the
increase by having empowered the plant, literally a believer, to grow.
We still have a farmer agent and an active plant.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine