[b-hebrew] Expository discourse profile

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat May 21 07:41:23 EDT 2005

Hi Ken,

The sources would be Longacre, _The Grammar of Discourse_ (1996, Plenum) and
Dawson,  _Text-linguistics and Biblical Hebrew_ (1994, Sheffield).  See p.
146 in Dawson, for example.

> I'm dredging up an old message from the archives, wondering if there is a
> published source for some of the ideas Bryan outlined below about
> differentiating genres based on the parameters of consecutivity,
> projection,
> and agent orientation (or any other formal system for differentiating
> genres).
>
> I am wondering what the genre with the features -C -P +AO would look like?
> Psalms, perhaps? 1QHa?

Right.  Dawson says a eulogy is an example, but we also find passages of
the -C -P +AO type in psalms about the Lord, who is most assuredly not dead!
The speaker/writer presents a catalogue of the achievements and qualities of
someone without special attention to chronology.

Many psalms have a hortatory frame.  That is, they begin and end with
exhortations to praise the Lord.  The large middle section is expository,
which highlights the character or achievements of the Lord, making Him
worthy of praise.  For example, Psa 135.  My point is that I often analyze
one text as a inter-relation of more than one genre.  For example one psalm
may contain material of one genre that hosts material of another embedded
genre.  Expository material often supports hortatory material.  These genres
are not literary genres; they are text-grammatical genres.

Psa 1 is wholly expository.  Psa 150 is wholly hortatory.  Psa 135 is
expository embedded within hortatory.

> What about +C +P -AO? Casuistry? (a combination of instructional and
> procedural discourse)? 11QT?

It is instructional.  (meaning the chart I give in the quoted material below
has an error (sorry!).)  IOW, the text tells how to do something.  It is
plus C because the text communicates a process with a chronological
sequence.  It is plus projection because the text is about an activity
someone may want to perform in the future.  It is minus agent orientation
because it is not focused on a particular agent whom we may name.  Rather it
is focused on a goal or achievement that any qualified person may attempt.

Shalom,

Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church