[b-hebrew] Test your browser for biblical Hebrew fonts.

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed May 18 20:02:11 EDT 2005

On 18/05/2005 20:19, Christopher V. Kimball wrote:

> Please browse to:
>
> http://www.cvkimball.com/Tanach/Lists/FontTest.html
>
> which contains a text displays using the default and SBL Hebrew, Ezra
> SIL, SIL Ezra fonts of your browser.  This page is pure HTML, no XML
> or XSLT transformations are involved.
>
> Note carefully that Ezra SIL and SIL Ezra are different fonts!
>
> I'd ask folks in the extra-Windows world to advise if Ezra SIL
> provides a better result that SBL Hebrew in that environment.

All fine with Mozilla 1.7.5 on Windows XP Pro, except that the meteg and
the accent appear below extra spaces in the default font, which is what
I expect because my default font is probably Arial Unicode MS. And the
SIL Ezra line is the same as the default font line.

For you are wasting your time trying to display Unicode Hebrew
characters with SIL Ezra. This is a legacy font with Unicode mappings
only to the "Windows Symbol" area which is part of the PUA. So any
system will either display boxes etc or use the system default font.
Mozilla does the latter.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/