Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue May 17 21:55:38 EDT 2005

Peter:

Because I wanted to read and write Hebrew on this computer, I have specifically Hebrew fonts included on this computer. That is beyond just a unicode basic font. I noticed that when I accessed Hebrew sites that include all the points, such as Snunit in Israel, that at least in Safari all the points, including cantillations, are rendered, and that correctly. (If these fonts are missing any points, that I wouldn’t know, as I usually read without any points at all.)

But I notice that sites that demand SBL fonts never render correctly. When I use a font other than SBL, the best I have gotten so far is some dots are incorrectly placed but the file is still readible. That is even when using fonts that rendered correctly on the other sites. If the SBL font is not the problem, then why do files asking for the SBL font not render correctly when using other fonts? Would the SIL Ezra font work even though the other fonts don’t? Why are dots such as dagesh and suruk misplaced, not just cantillation points, whereas on other sites not asking for SBL fonts have all dots properly placed? It is problems like this that make me question how well SBL fonts follow unicode standards.

Karl W. Randolph.