[b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue May 17 19:36:34 EDT 2005

Peter:

I think the problem here is the modern division of chapters and verses. When we look at the context, we see that chapter six was about the events surrounding the Ark of the Covenant. Except for the first verse, chapter seven is about Samuel’s judgeship over Israel. But because 1 Samuel 7:1 is part of chapter seven, we want to read the next verse as belonging with it, when context calls that into question. Also the Masoretes considered that there was a break between verses one and two, by the way they formatted the text.

There are many places where modern chapter and verse divisions do not follow Biblical context and ideas.

I see no problem with Samuel’s judgeship lasting 20 years. If he were 25–30 when the events of chapter six occurred, that would make him an old man of 45–50, his sons 25–30, when the people came to him to ask for a king. That does not seem out of line, even for those days. That would allow him to die a very old man of less than 80 while still accomplishing many things even well into the kingship of Saul.

If we allow that Saul reigned 40 years, Samuel was a judge for 20, and that David didn’t bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem until at least seven years into his reign, that makes for a total of at least 67 years that it was in the house of Abinadab in Gibeah. That’s a bit longer than 20.

Karl W. Randolph.