Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue May 17 19:14:27 EDT 2005

On 17/05/2005 23:42, Karl Randolph wrote:

>>From the above pattern, there is something going on that whereever the SBL fonts are used to write and/or read a file, it does not render correctly. Where the SBL fonts are not present, I have few (Camino browser) to no problems with rendering Hebrew. Now I may be missing something, but it certainly looks as if the SBL fonts are the problem. Do you see how I came to this conclusion?

Yes, Karl, I understand now. But your conclusion that there is something
wrong with the SBL Hebrew font does not follow from this, although I am
sorry that I called your conclusion a lie. For the problem is very clear
from the SBL Hebrew website,
http://www.sbl-site.org/Resources/default.aspx , from which I quote the
following:

> SBL Hebrew font is designed for use primarily with Windows 2000,
> Windows XP and later Microsoft operating systems. ... It is possible
> to install the font ... on Mac OS X. However, see the manual for
> information about limitations you may encounter on non-Windows systems.

The problems which you are seeing are because SBL Hebrew is unable to
render Hebrew properly on your Mac system, something which it was not
designed to do.

I accept that there is a problem with websites which display only using
SBL Hebrew, in that they are usable only by Windows users. It is a
limitation of certain sites e.g. Chris Kimball's,
http://www.cvkimball.com/Tanach/Tanach.xml , that they do not make it
clear that they may work properly only with Windows.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/