Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue May 17 18:42:35 EDT 2005

Trevor:

I admit that I don’t know everything that’s going on with SBL fonts and unicode, but these are the patterns that I notice:

1) When George emailed me directly with the SBL font, what I read was Hebrew with some points misplaced, but it was easy to recognize where those points belong so there was no problem reading the message. But when he CCed the message through B-Hebrew, all the Hebrew changed to question marks. In other words, there is something going on that is different between a direct message and one going through B-Hebrew.

2) When I access a site encoded using the SBL font, points are misplaced. If I try using the SBL font, all the points are misplaced, making it somewhat difficult to read.

3) If I access a site encoded in unicode, but not the SBL font, at least one of my browsers (Safari) renders all points correctly (as far as I have checked), even cantilation points.

4) If I download a .pdf or other file encoded in unicode, the points render correctly. None of those that I have downloaded used SBL fonts.

>From the above pattern, there is something going on that whereever the SBL fonts are used to write and/or read a file, it does not render correctly. Where the SBL fonts are not present, I have few (Camino browser) to no problems with rendering Hebrew. Now I may be missing something, but it certainly looks as if the SBL fonts are the problem. Do you see how I came to this conclusion?

Karl W. Randolph.