Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue May 17 13:09:46 EDT 2005

On 17/05/2005 17:26, Karl Randolph wrote:

>It looks as if the fault lies with the SBL font.
>
>1) Apparently the SBL font is only partially unicode complient in the first place, which means that its use should be discouraged for scholarly discourse. I have yet to see a SBL encoded site that has the points in the right places, while unicode encoded sites render well.

This is a lie, and a slur on the developers of SBL Hebrew who have taken
care to ensure that it is properly and fully Unicode compliant. However,
they have also made it clear that it is intended for Windows only, and
that is why you are getting poor results on the Mac. Although that is
not the problem with George's messages, because there is no font
identification in them or in any posting on this list. Fonts can be
identified only in HTML e-mail, not in plain text, and all list postings
are plain text.

>2) the pattern of question marks in George’s messages indicate that his mail server can send and receive unicode within plain text messages, but those messages that go through the B-Hebrew server have the non-unicode complient SBL font stripped out. Unicode complient inserts are passed through the B-Hebrew mail forwarder.

No, the pattern suggests something quite different, something which I
have already explained.

>Peter mentioned in an earlier message that the SBL font is a Windows™ font. That could be the problem.

Indeed. More precisely, it is an OpenType font optimised for use on
Windows. It works to some extent on other systems, but does not give
fully correct results.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/