Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue May 17 12:26:42 EDT 2005

It looks as if the fault lies with the SBL font.

1) Apparently the SBL font is only partially unicode complient in the first place, which means that its use should be discouraged for scholarly discourse. I have yet to see a SBL encoded site that has the points in the right places, while unicode encoded sites render well.

2) the pattern of question marks in George’s messages indicate that his mail server can send and receive unicode within plain text messages, but those messages that go through the B-Hebrew server have the non-unicode complient SBL font stripped out. Unicode complient inserts are passed through the B-Hebrew mail forwarder.

Peter mentioned in an earlier message that the SBL font is a Windows™ font. That could be the problem.

Karl W. Randolph.