[b-hebrew] Unicode

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon May 16 07:11:31 EDT 2005

On 15/05/2005 22:21, B. M. Rocine wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks.  I sent Gen. 1:2 to myself, and it was readable, but the holem
> dot (holem defectiva) makes too large a space for itself within a
> word.  Is there anything I can do?

The problem here seems to be that the text is being rendered in one of
the Microsoft standard fonts, which give readable Hebrew but still have
this problem with a full width space under holem. This is partly because
of the simple technology behind these fonts - although they could do
much better with a much narrower space. But the real answer is to use a
better font. The Microsoft font David does much better (without
cantillations), as do SBL Hebrew and Ezra SIL - at least on Windows.

I would recommend Troy to set up a style for Hebrew in his HTML
stylesheet with one of these fonts as default.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/