[b-hebrew] Piel etc.

George Athas gathas at hotkey.net.au
Thu May 12 04:00:36 EDT 2005

Hi Joel!

Thank you for your comment about the binyanim (ie, stems) not dictating semantic sense. I agree with you to an extent. You helpfully imply that language does not work like mathematics -- it is far more fluid and abstract in its logic and operations, and Biblical Hebrew is no exception. However, I would not swing the pendulum so far the other way that the binyanim/stems become purely arbitrary forms. There does seem to be some method to the 'madness' of the binyanim/stems. It might be a verbal chaos theory, but I think there is some logical control. When claiming that there is an intensive or heightening sense to verbs in the Piel, we do not mean that the sense is artificially imposed upon the root from the outside. Rather, the semantic range of the root itself in the Piel lends itself to heightened action.

For example, it is not that the verb DiBBeR means to 'speak emphatically' or anything like that. Rather, it is that Biblical Hebrew sees the very action of speaking as somehow heightened. In other words, the root DBR naturally occurs in the Piel stem because Biblical Hebrew sees the Piel stem as the appropriate form. If you compare the usage of DiBBeR (Piel, 'to speak') with the use of (aMaR (Qal, 'to say'), you will find that while there is a lot of semantic overlap, there is a slightly different semantic range because the Qal is generally reserved for the most basic of stems, and the Piel is reserved for more formalised or heightened action. We might not readily see what the 'heightened' feature of the action is, but that doesn't really matter much in the end. Piel might be heightened in the sense that it causes a state to occur, or an action is viewed intensively, but these nuances are not added to the semantic range; they are to be seen within the semantic range of the particular root. This is why virtually no verb occurs in all seven binyanim/stems -- each of the binyanim/stems has a particular feel to it. It's not a mathematical imposition upon the root such that a nuance can be derived, but is rather a sense such that a nuance is felt.

Also, I think Karl is right about the dangers of using Modern Hebrew to make definitive statements about Biblical Hebrew. It sometimes has illustrative value, but not determinative value.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)