[b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu May 12 20:05:09 EDT 2005

On 12/05/2005 04:39, Karl Randolph wrote:

> [...]

Well, if you count the Bible, including the New Testament, as just one
text, I will have to point you to numerous Qumran and later Jewish
documents and to a whole host of Christian, Islamic etc writings. So you
cannot speak without qualification of "The only text that mentions
Abraham". If what you mean is "The Bible rules out Abraham being from
Sumer", at least that is clear, but is clearly untrue.

>... Are there some
>from Sumer? Akkad? Any other cities? Unless you can come up with
>records of Abraham in Sumer, you can’t place him there. There is no
>evidence.

Precisely. There is no evidence for you to rule out him being from
Sumer, and no evidence for others to rule out him being from
Edessa/Urfa. There is insufficient evidence either way.

>... So he turned to one
>Chinese looking kid and asked where he was born, whereupon the
>student answered “Canton”. The teacher used this example to extend
>his tirade, thinking the student was from Canton, China, until the
>student completed his statement with, “I was born in Canton, Ohio.”
>The whole class laughed.)
>
>The Bible mentions only Ur of the Chaldeas. Seeing as this is a
>place connected to the Chaldeas, a Semitic speaking people, that
>rules out Ur of the Sumerians, whose language was unrelated
>to Chaldean. ...

Just as your student being from Canton, Ohio rules out him being ethnic
Chinese, I suppose? I think the whole class will laugh at your logic
here just as they laughed at your teacher.

>... Or the ancient pronunciation could have been Ora, very
>similar to a town far from Ur of the Sumerians. Whether you agree
>with the Bible or not, the text as it presently stands indicates
>that Abraham did not come from Ur of the Sumerians, but from a
>locale connected with Semitic language speaking Chaldeans.
>Therefore, the only text mentioning Abraham as it stands rules out
>Ur of the Sumerians.

I might accept "indicates that Abraham did not come from Ur of the
Sumerians", but "indicates X" does not imply "rules out not X", only
"makes not X less probable".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/