[b-hebrew] Four Rivers of Eden - Genesis 2

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu May 12 14:36:36 EDT 2005

Chris:

As far as I know, there is only one river that splits: the Orinoco in northern South America splits not too far from its origin, sends some of its water south to join the Amazon, while the majority flows north to drain into the Carribbean.

What Genesis 2 describes is a headwaters far different from the present headwaters of the present Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Either the author describes an utopia that never existed, or he describes a place that has been destroyed so thoroughly that even the landmarks leading to it are no longer extant. Hence, the Tigris and Euphrates rivers are not the same Tigris and Euphrates rivers mentioned in Genesis 2.

Attempts to harmonize the Genesis 2 descripton with modern, or even historical, features never works except in the mind of the harmonizer.

Karl W. Randolph.