[b-hebrew] Bible software for the blind?

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Wed May 11 19:44:30 EDT 2005

FYI:

The Hebrew Bible (hardcopy) is available in Hebrew Braille and in  English
Braille from:
_http://www.jewishbraille.org/library_services/special_braille.html_ (http://www.jewishbraille.org/library_services/special_braille.html)
They also have Lambdin's Introduction to Biblical Hebrew.

See _http://www.crosscountrysoftware.com/windows_blind.html_
(http://www.crosscountrysoftware.com/windows_blind.html)  re  accessibility of Online Bible
for the visually impaired.

This is  from
_http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm03/bm0303/bm030309.htm_
(http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm03/bm0303/bm030309.htm)
Hebrew Braille Translator Now Available:
The first comprehensive Hebrew  Braille translation software is now available
from Duxbury Systems, Inc. The  translator works for both ancient and modern
Hebrew and for Hebrew codes used in  both Israel and the United States. It
must be used in conjunction with the  standard Duxbury Braille Translation
Program and can accept files in Microsoft  Word. The cost of this program is $395,
and it may be ordered from Duxbury  Systems, Inc., 270 Littleton Road, Unit 6,
Westford, Massachusetts 01886,  telephone (978) 692‑3000, fax (978) 692‑7912,
e‑mail <_info at duxbury.com_ (mailto:info at duxbury.com) >, or Web site
_www.duxburysystems.com_ (http://www.duxburysystems.com/) .

You might find this interesting (from
_http://www.nextbook.org/features/feature_nemeth.html_ (http://www.nextbook.org/features/feature_nemeth.html) ):

How did you learn Hebrew Braille?

When I was asked to proofread. The first book they put in  Hebrew Braille was
the Bible. It was a long project, it spanned the 1930s and  1940s. Before
that time, there were Hebrew Braille codes that were indigenous to  different
communities, but in another community nobody could read it—America  versus
France, or France versus Germany. Now there's a single international  Hebrew Braille
code, used even in Israel.

There was a lady in Cleveland,  her name was Mrs. Cole, who learned the
Hebrew Braille code and transcribed the  Bible. And different people who were sort
of knowledgeable proofread the  material. Now there's a problem with
proofreading, because there are some  grammatical errors which are traditional and
which have to be preserved. And the  question is: Which ones are Masoretic errors
that have been around for thousands  of years and which ones are recently
created by a lady in Cleveland?

I  was familiar with the orthography. Even though I had no way of writing it,
I  could tell if a word was spelled wrong. My father was holding a standard
copy of  the Tanach, and I would spell word for word to make sure that every
word in the  Braille corresponded. I didn't do the whole Bible, I only did the
Psalms and the  minor prophets.