[b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed May 11 08:53:29 EDT 2005

On 10/05/2005 00:17, kwrandolph wrote:

> Further, Abraham was not even from Sumer, but from Ur of the
> Chaldeans, which spoke a different language. Would Abraham have even
> known about the Sumerian legends? That there are similarities between
> the Sumerian and Biblical flood accounts could also be the result of a
> common source for those and all flood accounts around the world.

Hold on, Karl. I agreed with you that Ur of the Chaldees MIGHT not be
the traditional Ur, a major Sumerian city in southern Mesopotamia. But
you are going too far to imply that it CERTAINLY WAS not. We just don't
have enough information. Anyway, many of the Sumerian myths are known to
have been translated or reworked in Akkadian, a Semitic language close
enough to what Abraham might have spoken that these myths would surely
have been known in a form which he could understand.

This is not an argument for you to disbelieve the Bible or assume that
Genesis is simply a reworking of Sumerian myths. But it does allow for
cross-fertilisation between different ancient accounts of the Creation
and the Flood.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/