[b-hebrew] Boring grammar again

kwrandolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue May 10 18:34:54 EDT 2005

Dear George et al:

First of all, please excuse me if I retread something that has just
been answered to in the last few days-I missed a few days of mail and
the link to the archives from http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew has not
worked either for the last few days (I just checked again).

As for the meaning of DBR as a verb, it seems closest to to express,
or in the Piel to make expression. Just as in English expression is
almost always done verbally, so DBR is almost always done verbally,
though rarely also by actions. A few times the allusion is made that
the expression is done through the hand of Moses or a prophet,
indicating the written form of expression.

It could be that the Piel has more than one meaning, one of which is
making a verb out of a noun root, as expressed in verbs like DBR But
then I think of verbs like )BD which is well attested in both Qal and
Piel, where the Piel has the meaning of make into the state of ...
while the Qal to become... and the Hiphil to cause to become ... But
I see no evidence that Piel ever had the meaning of heightened
action. Yes, I have read that claim in more than one grammar, but
never observed it while reading Tanakh.

Karl W. Randolph.